Monday, January 6, 2020

Vacation from Vacation


We landed in Brownsville, Texas, December 3rd, 2019.  Our intent was to stay through the holidays, then leave on January 4th, 2020, for Goose Island State Park.  Unfortunately, about a week and a half ago, we were on the road heading home from the beach when we were hit by an inattentive 18-year-old driver.  We walked away from the accident, as did our wee mangy mongrels, but have had to deal with the fallout from the wreck. Would you believe it took an entire week before we could even get the incompetent idiot insurance adjustor to respond to us?  But that's another story for another day.

The accident has caused delays.  We are waiting for parts to come in so that we can have the F350 repaired.  Once the parts come in, we've been told it could be another week before the body work is completed.  It's anybody's guess when we'll finally be restored to pre-accident status.

Due to this setback, we have had to cancel our reservation for Goose Island.  Management for 4 Seasons RV Resort has been very helpful and easy to deal with.  We were told not to worry; we are welcome to stay as long as necessary.  

After a week of discussions weighing both the pros and cons, consort and I have decided to stay put.  We're taking a vacation from vacation, at least for a couple of months.

I suppose one could say we are on a permanent vacation, and I wouldn't argue the point; but traveling and moving every two to three weeks, which consort and I have been doing since August, carries its own kind of stress.  Have I ever mentioned that before this full-time RV life, neither consort nor I had camped in an RV?  Hitched or parked a fifth wheel?  In our pre-RV life, consort drove a BMW Roadster and I drove a VW Beetle, both of which would fit in the bed of our current pickup truck.  Yes, I know how crazy that sounds, but that's the way we roll.

So there you go.  You're officially up-to-date.  We're going to relax and enjoy the company of the wonderful people who surround us.  There are various odd jobs that need done which have been vexing me.  We will now have time to accomplish these tasks.  The dogs are officially off vacation and back in training:  No bark!  No jump!  Use your manners!  The most difficult problem I face is coming up with new and interesting excuses to avoid all physical sports proposed by my favorite Canadian.  As a rule, I am disinclined to exert myself.

What do you think?


1 comment:

Me said...

Yikes. Glad you are all alright. Hugs.