Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Greetings from Brownsville

 

These are a few examples from the annual sand castle exhibit held on South Padre Island.  The Santa Claus was our favorite sculpture, although the sentiment inscribed on the left-hand picture below seems to best describe holiday wishes from government to citizens. 



These are two embroidery projects drawn, stitched, and framed for Christmas.  I have stitched the picture on the left you see hanging in my fifth wheel three times.  The first two times I embroidered the fantasy skyline, tie-dyed them, then sewed them into tote bags.  This time I decided to frame the project for my own enjoyment.  I can tell you I embroidered the picture on the right as a Christmas gift for my mother because we've already exchanged gifts and it is now hanging in her home here in Brownsville.


Cheers!  The glass on the left is a cherry-chocolate martini.  I purchased a jar of chocolate covered cherry moonshine when we were in Tennessee this past summer.  You mix the cherry liqueur with Creme de Cacao and a little heavy cream, then top it with more whipped cream and a moonshine cherry.  If done just right, it tastes like melted cherry ice cream.  I noticed this morning I had a kind of theme going.  In addition to the chocolate covered cherry moonshine, I have blackberry moonshine, double chocolate vodka, and grapefruit beer.  The Schoefferhofer grapefruit beer is really good!

I'm not sure how many dozens of cookies I've made in the past few weeks, but I do know I've made seven different types.  These pictured above are monster cookies.  They are basically peanut butter-oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips and M&M's.  The recipe calls for a dozen eggs, four cups of sugar, two pounds of brown sugar, three pounds of peanut butter, among other things.  You are supposed to scoop them out with an ice cream scoop to make cookies the size of a dessert plate.  I halved the recipe and made smaller cookies.  I could only make two cookies at a time if I made them with an ice cream scoop.  Living in a fifth wheel, you learn to adapt.

Last week SpaceX launched their Starship rocket from Boca Chica beach.  We were able to stand in our yard at 4 Seasons and see it take off, make the turn, and head back to the launchpad.  It rose to about 41,000 feet before shutting off its engines and turning horizontally, as planned.  It flew across the sky a short distance then turned nose up again as it descended to the landing pad.  As its legs hit the ground at landing, the rocket exploded.  From where we were, 17 miles away, we heard the reverberant boom of take off and actually felt the forceful vibration from the launch.  We did not see or hear the crash.











The conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn as seen from our yard.

A few pics of the 4 Seasons Christmas parade.  This beautifully lit SUV was spectacular!

It seems we are constantly losing track of the kitty, and I'm always concerned he has scampered out of the fifth wheel when the door is open.  He has yet to escape his human captivity and always turns up in the most interesting places.  The other day I had our bed lifted to access the storage underneath.  I retrieved whatever it was I needed, then lowered the bed to its normal position.  Sometime later we realized we hadn't seen Fulton running through the trailer.  We checked all his favorite hiding spots to no avail.  I retraced my activities of the day and arrived back at the bed.  I lifted the bed and found the kitty inside a box wrapped up in Christmas lights and happily munching on ribbons.

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring and -- thank goodness! -- no mouse. The fur-balls were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of yummy treats danced round in their heads.  

Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!








No comments: