Thursday, July 15, 2021

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity-Jig

 


We left Amarillo on an early Sunday morning in mid-May headed for our hometown of Broken Arrow.  We had reservations to spend two weeks at our favorite campsite, Bluff Landing, a COE campground ten miles east of Broken Arrow on the Verdigris River.

Consort and I really enjoy this nomadic lifestyle we've adopted, but every now and again, I yearn for home.  Not my current home on wheels, but my solid, stays-in-one-place house anchored in downtown Broken Arrow.  Each time we visit Broken Arrow, I insist on driving past the old homestead.  (Think sentimentalist, not stalker...)  

I was pleasantly surprised when we drove by our old house, pictured above, during this visit.  I asked consort to circle the block so I could take a picture.  The 100-year-old house looks well-maintained and loved.  There were new flower gardens and a pergola.  The center of the sunflower painted on the fence is a doggy window; something consort and I discussed adding, but never got around to.  It is obvious the new family loves the house as much as we did.  I can rest easy now; someone is taking care of the old lady; no more drive-byes are necessary.  Sigh....  Doesn't she look pretty?



Our purpose in visiting Broken Arrow was two-fold:  To spend time with three dear friends -- shout out to R in BA and J in Independence! -- and to pick up the three grandsons to take with us on a month-long vacation.  Although we were busy most days, we had a very relaxing two weeks.  There's a lot to be said for familiarity with a city -- I still haven't found a decent alternative to Waze.  A good deal of our evenings were spent at the local sports complex watching two of our grandsons play baseball.  The picture above is of my youngest grandson taking a swing at an offspeed pitch.  This particular grandson is a bad-ball hitter (which is fairly important when playing against six- and seven-year-olds) and managed to land a tater.  It was all very exciting!

I don't typically publish pictures or names of people on this blog, 
but with the consent of all those pictured above, here you go.  
Start with me on the left; my daughter, Jenna; my "red-headed stepchild," Summer;
and her beautiful momma, my dear friend, Karol.  
Love you ladies!

Broken Arrow Public Schools let out the last full week of May.  The grandsons, and both consort and I, were ready to stow their luggage and begin our summer excursion.  Before the boys arrived, I cleaned out three drawers for them to keep their clothes in, and we made space in the living room to stow their sleeping bags and pillows.  Our last night in Broken Arrow, daughter brought the boys over and we enjoyed a picnic-style dinner outside by the river.  After a delightful evening, we said our final good-byes and waved to daughter as she drove away.



No comments: