Friday, December 20, 2019

Merry Christmas to YOU!


Once again this year, the holidays snuck up on me.  One would think after this many Christmases, I'd be more organized, prepared.  One can wish.  After some last minute shopping, and expedited shipping, I am as ready as I possibly can be.  The last gift has been wrapped and the baked goods are waiting to be eaten.  Santa thinks I have been especially good this year and has gifted me my Christmas wish:  A visit with my grandsons, and those three boys are so wonderful they decided to bring their mom and dad with them.  I couldn't be happier.

We have been busy here in Brownsville.  Living down the street from Mom and D is an absolute delight.  I've never lived in the same town as my mom, you know, except for growing up.  I don't think I can describe to you how really satisfying it is to just drop in on your mother, have a nice chat, and then take off again.  And I can do it MULTIPLE times in a day!  Exquisite, especially during the holidays.

I could write pages about all that we are doing and seeing:  The piles of crab legs and oysters consumed, the home-cooked meals that mom prepared for us all, the ocean.  THE OCEAN.  The sand dunes and sea oats.  One evening Mom and D drove consort and I to the north end of Padre Island.  Towards the end of the road, the end of the island, sand was blowing and drifting across the road like something alive.  I was completely awestruck.

I have been neglecting, possibly rejecting, my camera lately and just living in the moment.  I know that sounds trite, but it's been my goal this holiday season.  I want to savor each delicious drop.  I do, however, believe every story benefits from a good visual, so I'll try to do better.  

The birds here are  A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!  I'm going to post a few pics, though none were taken by me.  Consort and I encountered a Horned Owl today.  Last night I awoke to the sound of a hooting owl.  A really loud hooting owl.  We're in a tropical climate, and the only trees near us are Palms, so I was pretty sure I was dreaming.  But this evening, consort heard the owl outside and asked if I heard it, too.  I hadn't heard the owl just then, but told him I thought I'd heard one the night before.  We went outside to investigate.  We followed the call of the owl which led us to the base of a Palm.  The sun had set, so we couldn't see much, but we continued to wait and listen.  After a few more calls, the bird took off.  It's wingspan seemed nearly the same size as the treetop.  So, here you go, Owl in Palm tree, and a few other gorgeous specimen. 






From top to bottom:  Horned Owl, Northern Flicker, Hooded Oriole.  The last two pictures are of a Green Jay.  We saw our first one while at King Ranch.  Since being here, I've seen dozens.  It is a truly magnificent bird!

  



No comments: