Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Trip to the Beach





 
Consort and I are on day nine of our self-quarantine after our north-south travels.  Other than walking the dogs, we haven't been out much.  We've kept ourselves busy, but we have become exceedingly dull.  For instance, I have been watching old home movies so I can create labels chronicling the events recorded on each DVD.  Exciting, right?  Honestly, it's been kind of fun.  In the past nine days I have attended weddings and graduations.  I have celebrated birthdays, Easter, the 4th of July, and Christmas.  I have been on family vacations.  There's something to be said for a good couch trip.





Yesterday, consort and I decided it was time to break out.  We loaded the wee mangy mongrels into the truck for a drive.  South Padre Island beach is closed, Boca Chica beach is closed, and the dog park is closed.  We settled on a drive to Padre Island hoping we would find the north end of the island open and an empty beach where we could walk the dogs.  We were not disappointed.  The north end of the island was open and we found exactly what we were looking for, a completely deserted beach.  


Being a responsible dog owner, I want to be sure of my dogs' recall skills before allowing them to run off leash.  A recall command is used to tell your dog to return to you.  When the dogs are off leash and I yell, "Come!" they are supposed to drop whatever they're doing and return to me.  D.O.G. has great recall skills.  I don't worry too much about Annie, she seldom leaves my side.  Bella, however, continues to have impulse control issues, and I was not in the mood to chase her if when she ran off, so she remained attached to the retractable leash and had to make do with only 30-feet of independence.  



No birds were caught, despite best efforts by the dogs.  The pups ran and jumped waves, they sniffed and dug holes.  By the time we left to head home, we had successfully exhausted the dogs and restored our own mental health.  It was a very good day.

What is not on the TV:  News channels

No comments: