Saturday, May 9, 2020

Happy Mother's Day!



The first time I met my mother was almost 59 years ago.  It was a very intimate setting, that first meeting.  She made me feel like I was the most important person in the world.

For a few years in elementary school, my mother was one of two leaders for my Girl Scout troop.  The weekly troop meetings were packed with crafts and activities, and always ended with the singing of Taps around the flagpole.

As much fun as the weekly meetings were, nothing compared with the campouts.  One in particular stands out in my mind.  It must have been a jamboree as lots of different troops were in attendance.

Mom, as a leader, was present for the campout and quickly became a favorite among the girls. It was easy to find mom despite the crowds of campers and leaders:  She always wore a red ball cap covered with white polka dots.  The hat promptly earned her the nickname of Polka Dot.  When the girls learned that Polka Dot was my mother, I became an instant rockstar simply by association.  Every team wanted her for a member.  No game was as satisfying without her participation.  We were all in agreement:  Polka Dot was a blast!

After high school, I was overflowing with plans and dreams.  Some plans had merit, but many were the ridiculous blather of an overblown and inexperienced teenager.  I remember my mother listening with unwavering patience, and without judgment, as I wandered aimlessly through extravagant thoughts and ideas.  She was a steady anchor available to me as I set sail in unknown waters.

In all of the years from then till now, my mother has been a constant in my life.  She has provided a road map to navigate the difficult terrain of life, of motherhood, by her every word and action.

She's the first person with whom I want to share good news or a funny story.  She offers comfort when the world has me out of sorts.  She never dwells on my many and varied faults.  She celebrates, wholeheartedly, my every victory as if it were her own, which I suppose in many ways, it is.  If I have achieved my goal of being a good mother to my own two children, it is only because of the success of the woman who walked the path before me.

Please accept my deepest thanks, Mom.  I appreciate your guidance, help, and unyielding love throughout my years.  Thank you for always being willing to go to the ends of the earth for me.  You have my highest regard.  I wish you long days and pleasant nights.  I salute you with my heart.


If you live to be a hundred, I hope I live to be a hundred minus one day, so that I never have to live a day without you. ~Winnie the Pooh


4 comments:

Me said...

💕

Sharon said...

Beautiful tribute!!

Noel said...

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, touches my heart ❤️ ❤️