Sunday, July 26, 2020

Last Stop


Not sure what type of plant this is.  Anyone know?
Our time here in NE Tennessee is winding down.  We will be parked here another week before we take off, heading north, to the craggy coast of Maine.  The last place we wanted to visit while in this area was Jonesborough, the oldest city in Tennessee. 

Jonesborough is home to the International Storytelling Center which hosts an annual storytelling festival the first week of October.

Unfortunately, like so many other things this year, the Storytelling Center will not be hosting a live festival -- color me disappointed!  With thousands of people attending from all over the world, the Center has concluded, "the risks just aren't tenable."  So they have decided to present the festival in digital format.  I guess that means we can watch and listen to the stories no matter where we are.  


As the oldest town in Tennessee, Jonesborough is steeped in history.  Consort and I were not really into history or learning on this day.  We were simply out to see the sights.  I can tell you, though, that this original log cabin, built sometime around 1775, was home to Andrew Jackson when he lived in Jonesborough and practiced law.
Consort and I both enjoy looking at the architecture of old buildings.  The entire downtown area was charming. 
 
There were kids out on the street in formal wear having their pictures taken.  I stopped one of the photographers and asked what was going on.  I was told the 8th grade class was holding prom, as was the senior class.  And that's all I know about that.




 We stopped for lunch at Jonesborough Barrel House.  Consort and I both had the Memphis Burger.  The burger was topped with pulled pork, bacon, onion rings, and gouda cheese.  Need I say more?  I tried the cornbread salad -- which was beyond delicious -- while consort stuck with his old standby, french fries.  Have I mentioned that I've never learned to drive the Ford F350?  As a direct result, consort had the sweet tea with his lunch while I had the Ole Smoky Blackberry Moonshine/lemonade cocktail.  It was mighty good -- good enough that we stopped at the local liquor store and bought a jar before leaving Jonesborough.  The waitress said we could make a great PBJ shot by pouring half a shot glass of peanut butter whiskey topped with blackberry moonshine.  I think we're going to have to try it!


3 comments:

Bob said...

Sounds like y’all are having fun.

Jacqalin said...

peanut butter whiskey?! gross! lol. that plant is an oak leaf hydrangea, i believe, but at least a hydrangea.

K said...

I knew you’d know!!