Thursday, October 31, 2019


Willis Creek Park on Granger Lake


Granger, Texas.  We are parked for two weeks at an Army Corps of Engineers campsite.  We are about an hour north of Austin and an hour east of Houston.  I have a brother in Austin and a sister in Houston.  Consort and I had lunch with brother and his family last weekend, sister plans to visit next weekend.

My namesake niece was present at lunch on Sunday and kept me laughing throughout.  I love seeing her and finding out what books she’s been reading.  I loved the way she would grab my phone to find an illustration for the point she was making.  Isn’t it interesting when you reconnect with the kid you used to know who grew up into an adult while your head was turned?

It is quiet here, which is one of the things I like best about the COE campgrounds.  When we pulled in last Friday, the campsites were full.  There were fishing boats out on the lake, kids running around.  By Tuesday morning, we were one of six hardcore campers remaining.  I say hardcore because it's been so cold! 

The dogs love the deserted campground.  The cockaburs are few and far between, so they’re able to go outside and enjoy all the things dogs like to do.  Annie digs a new hole.  Bella sniffs and explores.  D.O.G., well, he's happiest when he's rolling in something smelly.  We have a large open area around the camper and we’ve been working with the dogs outside off leash.  The Pulik are not a problem, but Bella’s middle name is, I like to bolt.  I’m impressed with the dogs and their willingness to pay attention and play by the rules.  Bella has only run off once and that was to chase a recumbent bicyclist with a Scotty running alongside him.


Side note.  The recumbent cyclist uses a walker when he is out walking his dog.  But every day this same guy goes out for an extended ride on his recumbent.  I feel like a whiny sloth.
I’ve been bird watching and logging sightings.  We’re next to a marshy section of the lake that opens onto wide fields surrounded by trees.  There are hawks and Killdeer, there was a Great Egret on the water this morning along with a group of Lesser, or maybe Greater, Yellowlegs.  At the birdfeeder attached to the back window there was a Western Bluebird feeding.  No pics.  The birds are too quick and I’m too fascinated to move.

As for the vegetation, I think I already mentioned the divine lack of cockaburs.  Consort and I found yellow passion fruit growing wild.  The fruit was too ripe for consumption, so we left it for the wildlife.  Did you know passion fruit is an ingredient found in all Hawaiian Juice products?

I have realized the reason I am in love with this camper:  It is exactly like the house we just moved out of, you know, the one without wheels.  Similarities include, but are not limited to:  When it’s cold outside, it’s colder in here.  It is always dusty.  The wooden shutters on the windows at the house, I swore I would never clean them again.  Those same shutters adorn the doors in our new bedroom.  The French doors in our old house, I complained every time I had to wash the glass window panes.  Those same door/window combinations are replicated on the cabinets in the trailer.  Biggest difference?  It only takes an hour to deep clean the entire place.

On the to-do list:          Learn to drive the Ford F-350 King Ranch dually
In the oven:                  Brisket
Playing on TV:             Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn

2 comments:

Traveling along side by side said...

I hope to learn from you the values of taking the time to truly enjoy the tranquility offered by camping. We bypass nature, we're missing out.

Jacqalin said...

What movie was the Spencer Tracy and Kate film? My fave is Desk Set.