Sunday, February 9, 2020

Dog Park...

...and what happens when we're not home.



We only have one option for a dog park here in Brownsville.  It is the Catherine B. Stillman Dog Park about ten miles from where we're currently parked.  It is a good-sized park, has an area for both large and small dogs, and it does have some agility equipment.  There are grassy areas in the park, a really nice and clean restroom for humans, and there are no thorns to stick in soft dog paws.  I would give the park a great review if it weren't for the chilling fact it is adjacent to a community dog pound.  An animal control center that sports a sign reading, High Kill Shelter.  It's hard to enjoy yourself when you're looking directly at a rescue facility where dogs are being destroyed. What was the city thinking when they decided to install a park next to a high kill shelter?  It is disturbing.

Moving on to a happier tail...

Consort and I decided when we moved into the fifth wheel that the dogs would not be allowed on the furniture.  We are utterly unyielding in our attitude about this despite the big brown eyes urging us to change our minds.

The other day I was in the shower.  Our shower is residential sized and built in a hallway.  When one uses the shower, the vent above the shower stall must be opened and the doors on either end of the hallway must be closed.  Opening the vent allows the steam to escape; water and moisture in the air are a fifth wheel's worst enemy, according to everything I've read.  Now you know the setting.  Sometime during my steam-filled reverie, the dogs go crazy barking.  I'm guessing someone was knocking at the door.  I decided yelling at the dogs from the shower was futile, so I let them bark to their hearts' content.  When I finally finished up, I opened the hallway door that leads into the kitchen and living room.  Apparently, when I did not bellow for the dogs to stop barking, D.O.G. and Bella assumed I had left the premises and that they were home alone.  This is how I found them.


I saw this sign at Market Days on South Padre Island.  I think I need to purchase one to hang on the front door.